Elicos Courses

Australia now has over 350000 international students from over 140 countries around the
world enrolled in a diverse range of disciplines through all levels of education ranging from short-term English language courses, Diploma, Bachelor and Masters Degrees right through to Doctoral Degrees.


Australia is proud of the reputation and quality of its English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS). The National English language training Accreditation Scheme (NEAS) maintains the high standard of Australia’s ELICOS courses.

High quality standards

All prospective ELICOS providers must register with NEAS before they can offer ELICOS courses. NEAS also monitors ELICOS providers to ensure that they continue to provide a high standard of education. NEAS looks at classroom sizes, teaching materials, and the support services available for international students. Full details of the accreditation process and of registered providers can be found on the NEAS website http://www.neasaustralia.com”>www.neasaustralia.com

Education providers who wish to offer courses to international students are also regulated through the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and associated legislation, which is managed by the Australian Government Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST). This legislation was written to ensure that the rights of international students are protected at all times. The ESOS Act requires all providers offering education to international students to be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). No provider is legally allowed to offer courses to international students unless they are CRICOS registered. Further information on CRICOS legislation and registered providers can be found at http://cricos.dest.gov.au


The advantage of taking an English language course in a country in which it is the primary language is the endless opportunities to practice speaking, reading, and writing English.

Students coming to Australia on a student visa to study English language courses (ELICOS) are required to study full-time. There are generally no set course entrance requirements for English language study but you should always check with your chosen education provider.

Tourists and visitors to Australia can also participate in ELICOS study during their stay as long as the course is fewer than 12 weeks long. There are courses that combine study and tourist activities that have been specially designed for student visitors.
Details of visa requirements can be found on the Department of Immigration and
Citizenship website at www.immi.gov.au


Institutions offer a wide range of English language courses suited to all learning needs. Courses

  1. 1. general English
  2. 2. English for academic purposes
  3. 3. English for secondary school preparation
  4. 4. English for special purposes (for example, English for business)
  5. 5. IELTS and TOEFL test preparation
  6. 6. Cambridge test preparation
  7. 7. bridging and foundation courses
  8. 8. study tour programs (which include other extracurricular activities).

English Proficiency Tests

There are a number of tests in Australia designed to assess the English language ability of international students wishing to gain entry to courses in Australia. The main ones are:

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
The IELTS includes speaking, listening, reading and writing modules is offered in two test formats: ‘academic’, and ‘general training’. All test candidates take the same speaking and listening modules, but candidates have the option of either academic or general training in the reading and writing modules.

Academic modules are aimed at students wishing to study at university level. General training modules emphasise basic survival skills in a broad social and educational context and are suited to candidates wishing to attend secondary education, or to undertake work experience or training programs not at degree level. The test is widely recognised by universities, employers, professional bodies, and immigration authorities around the world.

Further details can be found at www.ielts.org

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

The TOEFL test measures the ability of candidates to understand and use English to the level that it is spoken, written, and heard in a university setting. The test is widely recognised around the world and can be taken in three formats: paper-based, computer-based, and most recently, internet-based.

Further details can be found at www.toefl.org

Cambridge English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)

The Cambridge ESOL exams assess English language proficiency for admission to university and other courses. The exams are recognised around the world by universities, employers and national education authorities.

Further details can be found at www.cambridge-efl.org

Occupational English Test (OET)

The OET was designed to test the English language proficiency of overseas-qualified medical and health professionals wishing to undertake training programs or examinations in order to gain professional recognition and practice in Australia.

Further details can be found at www.occupationalenglishtest.org

Contact Us Today

For more information please contact us on
matt@migrationconsultants.net.au« go back | ˆ go to top

Migration News

  1. Skilled Occupation Lists (SOL)

    The current Skilled Occupation List (SOL) has been released by the
    Department of Immigration & Border Protection.
    If you are planning to migrate under the following visa streams you are
    required to nominate occupation from this list;
    * Independent points based skilled migration who are not nominated by a
    State or Territory Government Agency
    * A Family Sponsored Points Tested Visa
    * [...]

    read more?


  1. Testimonial – Dewa

    I Dewa Ketut Adi Putra
    As a person who born and grown up in a small village in the east of Gianyar – Bali, I never been travelling aboard and my knowledge about Australian education system was very little. However, studying and living overseas was my biggest dream.
    The first time I stepped in to MECA office [...]

    read more?

Useful Links

Useful Details

Our Registrations and Memberships

  • Registered Migrationt agent - Number:0743831
  • Migration Institute of Australia
  • eVisa
  • Qualified Education Agent Counsellors
  • professional International Education Resources